Thursday, May 23, 2013

Corner Canyon

I'm insane. Seriously. Two hikes in two days.

Sure, neither one was very long, but both of them had me carrying an extra 30 pounds. Tonight I hiked up Corner Canyon in Draper. If I was truly insane I'd hike in City Creek Canyon tomorrow night to hit the three mountainous corners of the Salt Lake Valley. Let's hope I'm not truly insane.
There are a few places you can start your hike in Corner Canyon. I decided to start at the Coyote Hollow trailhead, which is just behind the Draper Temple. From there I took Clark's trail 1.6 miles to the Peak View trailhead. I started at about 5100' in elevation, and ended up at around 5850', for an elevation gain of about 750'. It was only about a 10% grade the whole way, which was great. It wouldn't have been difficult at all without the extra weight.
One thing I love about Corner Canyon is that they have maps at all the trailheads. It's really nice to have an accurate map because there are so many trails going so many different directions. The other thing I really like is that all of the trail intersections are very well marked. Even with all the trails it would be hard to get lost.
The first mile and a half was difficult. Yes, it was the only real uphill part, but that was easy enough to deal with. What made it difficult is having Titan crying most of the way.
I was sure we'd need to turn around and cut the hike short. About 1 1/4 miles in we stopped and had some dinner: a PB&J and applesauce.
From the Peak View trailhead (1.6 miles in) we took Brock's Point Trail down to the Canyon Hollow Trail. After another mile and a half we took a side trail to Ghost Falls. It was a bigger waterfall than I had thought it was going to be. Not huge, but worth the walk anyway.
From the falls we walked back on the Ghost Falls trail, then met back up with the Canyon Hollow Trail, and eventually back up the Bonneville Shoreline Trail to the Coyote Hollow trailhead. It was a beautiful walk with no real steep parts, either up or down.

We came across dozens of mountain bikers and without fail they were all polite and fun to talk to. We didn't get run over a single time. It's a beautiful canyon and I'll definitely be back.

In all, it was 4.3 miles (exactly what the map said it would be) with about 1250' of total elevation gain. The trail was in the shade most of the way, was well maintained, and the weather couldn't have been more perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment