Saturday, March 30, 2013

Bells Canyon - The Other Way

Wow. Two hikes in two days. This year is starting off great!

Annie was meeting some people for lunch (and taking Sydney along) so that left Titan and I free to hit the hills. We decided to head up Bell(s) Canyon, just to the lower reservoir. Last year we went up as a family on Memorial Day, along with everyone else in the valley. This year there weren't nearly as many people, but it was still a pretty popular place to be.

Last year we started at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon and hiked up from there. This year we parked at the parking lot on Wasatch Blvd (that I had seen last night trying to find the lot for Rocky Mouth). It was a very different trail. I'm not sure which I preferred.

Wait, yes I am. I preferred the Little Cottonwood trail. This one was very steep in places and there were a few places where it was really hard to keep your footing. I saw multiple people slip and fall.
There was a particularly difficult spot where my water bottle popped out of the pack and bounced thirty feet down the nearly vertical trail. Fortunately there were some nice people behind me that brought it back up to me.

Titan did fantastic in the carrier. He didn't have any freak-outs like last year. We talked most of the way up and down. He thinks that every body of water is a "tubby", and would point out all the tubbies he saw. He was also excited to see the little patches of snow here and there.
I look really worn out in the above picture, which is funny because that was taken after our 20 minute rest at the top just before we headed back down.

I think the trail was about as long as the Little Cottonwood trail; right about .75 miles, give or take a mile. The water level was really low, but it was a great little hike. I think Titan especially enjoyed it. He loves to be outside.
We drank some gatorade (Titan drank from his sippy cup) and ate some Clif bars at the lake. We rested about 20 minutes, I gave directions to a surprising number of people coming up the trail (good thing I know my way around), and we headed back down to the car.
It was another beautiful day for a short hike, even if I had an extra 35 pounds to carry (Titan's a LOT heavier than last year). I'd recommend a trip up to Bells Canyon Reservoir to anyone; I'd just recommend going up the other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment